Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Oshkosh Corporation Internship!

Tasha Gosselin
Accounting Defense/Finance Internship
Oshkosh Corporation designs and builds specialty vehicles and equipment for Defense, Fire & Emergency and Commercial uses. Oshkosh Corporation started in Wisconsin and has grown globally to become a Fortune 500 company. With a diversified business model and growth strategies focused on innovation, operational excellence, superior quality and service, and strategic acquisition, this company will continue to be a leader in its’ market.

I am an Accounting/S.C.O.M. major planning to graduate in 2013. This fall, I heard about several internship opportunities at Oshkosh Corporation through the Accounting Club and decided to apply. I currently hold an Accounting Defense/Finance Internship at the Harrison Street Plant in Oshkosh.

So far my internship has been a very rewarding experience. I am in charge of several different Defense contracts for which I do sales accruals, audit schedules, vouchers for the government and other miscellaneous projects. The thing I love most about this job is that the work I am doing is very similar to what the full time staff accountants do. The only major difference is the quantity of work and the difficulty of the contract. In the few months that I have worked at Oshkosh Corporation I have begin given many opportunities to expand my knowledge and take on different tasks. I also really enjoy the pressure of the accounting cycle. Each month you gear up for month end close which lasts about 2 – 3 weeks and before you know it, you are getting ready for another crazy couple of weeks. Some people might not enjoy this type of atmosphere but the deadlines keep me motivated and excited to come into work.

I am so grateful that I had the opportunity to have this internship before graduation. The work experience will help me immensely when I graduate and working somewhere that gives you a lot of responsibility will allow me to share that experience with interviewers. I have also become more familiar with an office environment and adjusted to the day-to-day flow of office life that includes meetings, phone calls, and urgent projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment