Thursday, February 24, 2011

Children's Hospital of WI-Fox Valley Intern

Jessica Mueller
HR Major

My experience with Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin-Fox Valley began Spring Semester 2010 when a classmate of mine (also an HR major and volunteer) recommended volunteering there in Volunteer Services. I became a Volunteer Services volunteer that summer and realized that a lot of the things I was doing paralleled with my major. From the moment I stepped onto the NICU floor my first day, during my tour, I fell in love with the atmosphere at Children’s.

I became the Volunteer Coordinator intern in January, 2011. Although I have taken on more responsibilities, the duties haven’t changed too much. My main role in this position is to assist my supervisor in getting passionate volunteers onboard. In conjunction with the staff in various units and clinics, in the past month I have assisted in creating 2 new volunteer assignments in NICU and at the Fox Valley Children’s Mental Health Center. I have been given the opportunity to be creative and use my HR knowledge in a unique way. For example, the concept of Job analyses, I have taken my knowledge and applied it to Volunteer Management by creating Assignment Analyses for each volunteer assignment. It is a lot of work in addition to my other duties, but it is a work in progress.

Some of my other tasks are:
• Using a Volunteer Information System to track volunteers
• Performing background checks
• Doing Volunteer orientations and interviews as well as the prep work for them
• Scheduling Volunteers
• Email Correspondence

Even though I make mistakes, my supervisor addresses them in an open and kind hearted way and helps me learn from them. A lot of what I love about Children’s Hospital is how their mission and vision is reflected in every staff member and volunteer.

“Employment at Children's Hospital and Health System is about much more than going to work. It's about making a difference for kids ... for families ... for yourself. It's about being inspired by the people you meet. It's about learning and growing as a person and a professional. It's about living life fully. And it's why Children's Hospital and Health System is considered a top workplace.”

I always felt so great leaving Children’s Hospital when I was volunteering, even though I felt like I didn’t make that much of a difference. It wasn’t until recently that I realized I was completely wrong. I have realized that I am able to help patients and their families through recruiting volunteers that have a certain passion. The new position in NICU is just that, helping parents feel comfortable and in return help their children feel comfortable. Children’s Hospital does all they can to achieve the perfect environment and I am so glad to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment